If you’re looking for high-speed, low-latency, and affordable internet access from anywhere in the world, especially here in Nigeria, then Starlink is the answer. Poor internet connectivity, high data subscription costs without value for money, and the unreliable services of other internet service providers are reasons you should consider Starlink.
However, Starlink may have its own issues too. So, if you use Starlink you may be wondering how to boost Starlink internet speed if you have a slow internet connection.
In this article, I will share with you some tips on how to boost Starlink internet speed and enjoy a fast, smooth, and satisfying online experience.
👉🏽 Mafia Offers: How To Make People Beg to Buy Whatever You Have For Sale
👉🏽 How to Make 300K – 500K Every Month Through E-commerce
👉🏽 Facebook & Instagram Ads Sales Generation Blueprint
Let’s get started!
How to Boost Starlink Internet Speed
Several factors can affect your Starlink internet speed, such as the location of your dish, the weather conditions, the type of connection, the number of devices, and the network traffic. All these factors can affect your internet connection and make it slow.
Now, if your Starlink internet connection is down, below are some of the most effective ways to increase your Starlink internet speed:
1. Check the dish for obstructions.
One of the most important things to do is to make sure that your Starlink dish has a clear and unobstructed view of the sky. Any physical objects, such as trees, buildings, or power lines that block the line of sight between your dish and the Starlink satellites, can slow the signal quality and speed.
Make sure you place your dish in an open area, preferably on the roof or a pole, and avoid any obstructions. You can use the Starlink app to check for obstructions and find the best spot for your dish.
The app can show you the direction and angle of the dish that will give you the best signal from the Starlink satellites. You can also use the app to monitor the dish status, the network statistics, and the outage reports. The app can help you troubleshoot any issues and optimize your Starlink internet performance.
2. Use an Ethernet cable instead of Wi-Fi.
If you want to get the fastest and most reliable internet connection from Starlink, you should use an ethernet cable to connect your devices to the Starlink router. Wi-Fi can be slower and less stable than a wired connection, as it can be affected by interference, distance, and obstacles.
If you have devices that require high-speed and low-latency internet, such as gaming consoles, smart TVs, or desktop computers, you should use an ethernet cable to connect them to the Starlink router.
To do this, you will need to buy a Starlink ethernet adapter, which costs about NGN 22,000, and plug it between the dish cable and the router. This will give you an extra Ethernet port that you can use to connect other devices in your home.
3. Use a Starlink mesh network or a third-party mesh system.
If you want to extend your Starlink Wi-Fi coverage and speed to multiple rooms and floors in your house, you should use a mesh network. A mesh network is a system of wireless access points, or nodes, that can communicate with each other and with the main router, creating a seamless and uniform Wi-Fi network.
You can add up to three nodes to your Starlink router and place them in different locations in your house to boost your Starlink Wi-Fi signal and speed.
Follow the steps below to set up a Starlink mesh network:
- Find a suitable location for your mesh node within one to two rooms’ distance from the main router.
- Plug in the mesh node to a power outlet and connect your device to your Starlink router.
- Launch the Starlink app and wait for 1-2 minutes until a “PAIR NEW MESH NODE” notification appears in the app
- Click on the “PAIR” option.
- If you want to add other nodes to the network, follow the same steps as above.
4. Avoid network congestion and interference.
When you experience slow internet speed on your Starlink connection, it could be due to network congestion and interference. This occurs when too many devices or users are connected to the same network or when other wireless devices operate on the same frequency or channel as your Starlink Wi-Fi.
To prevent network congestion and interference, you can limit the number of devices or users connected to your Wi-Fi network. Disconnect some of the devices connected, and this may increase the speed of the connection.
Also, during peak usage hours between 6 pm and 11 pm, many people tend to connect and use the network, which can cause a decrease in the speed. If this is the case, there’s little you can do but wait for improvement.
How to make Starlink better for gaming
Here are some ways to make Starlink better for gaming:
- When you choose a game, make sure it is compatible with satellite internet. Also, choose servers that can handle a slow connection or have a low limit for how fast your connection needs to be.
- You can use a unique tool called a gaming VPN or proxy to help you play games better. It can make your connection faster, let you play games that are not available in your country, and keep your information private.
- Your computer needs to be in good shape to play games smoothly. You can make sure it’s working well by closing other apps you’re not using, making sure your virus scanner is up to date, and updating your computer’s drivers.
- You can use a particular type of router or a feature called QoS to make sure your games get the most attention from your internet connection. This can help make sure your games run smoothly, even if other people in your house are using the internet.
How to Improve Starlink Upload Speed
- One of the simplest ways to improve Starlink’s upload speed is to compress files before uploading them. Compressing files reduces their size, making them easier and faster to upload. You can use tools like WinZip, 7-Zip, or FileOptimizer to compress files. However, it’s essential to be careful not to over compress files, as this can affect their quality.
- Some apps, like antivirus, browsers and other apps may run in the background and use the internet connection without the user’s knowledge. Closing unnecessary or unwanted apps and programs that may interfere with Starlink upload speed can improve upload performance. Turning off automatic updates or syncs that may use bandwidth can also help.
- The type of connection used to connect a device to the Starlink router can affect upload speed. Wired connections, like ethernet cables, can help make the upload speed faster and more stable than wireless connections like Wi-Fi. You can also use a Starlink mesh network, powerline adapter, or Wi-Fi extender to help extend and amplify Starlink’s Wi-Fi signal and speed to a device.
Starlink, despite its many advantages, may encounter challenges and issues that can affect its performance and speed. Therefore, if you want to enjoy a fast, smooth, and satisfying online experience with Starlink, consider following the tips in this article to improve your Starlink internet performance. Check out how to setup Starlink to learn more about how to install the Starlink kit.
Stay connected with Starlink!
Frequently asked questions
Does Starlink Have Wi-Fi Extenders?
Starlink does not have its own Wi-Fi extenders, but you can use a third-party Wi-Fi extender to extend your Starlink Wi-Fi coverage and speed. To do this, you will need to buy a Starlink ethernet adapter and connect it to the Wi-Fi extender. Then, you can plug the other end of the Wi-Fi extender into an outlet or a device in the desired location.
How Many Devices Can Starlink Wi-Fi Handle?
Starlink can connect up to 128 devices.
What Is the Minimum Distance Between Starlink Antennas?
The minimum distance between Starlink antennas is 30 meters. This is to avoid any interference or signal loss between the antennas. If you have more than one Starlink antenna, you should place them at least 30 meters apart and make sure that they have a clear and unobstructed view of the sky.
Does Starlink Antenna Need to Be Outside?
Yes, the Starlink antenna needs to be outside, as it requires a clear view of the sky to work well. Any obstructions, such as trees, buildings, or clouds, can affect the signal quality and speed. Always place your Starlink antenna in an open area, preferably on the roof or a pole, and avoid any potential obstructions. You can use the Starlink app to check for obstructions and find the best spot for your antenna.
How Many Starlink Mesh Routers Can I Have?
You can have up to twelve (12) Starlink mesh routers.